08 February 2009

13. The World According to Mister Rogers


The World According to Mister Rogers; Important Things to Remember by Fred Rogers
This book is a collection of quotations from Fred Rogers. They are from his famous PBS TV show, interviews, speeches and his writings. It was a very quick read and is full of nice guy wisdom...exactly what I would expect from Mr. Rogers.
Some short examples:
"Solitude is different from loneliness, and it doesn't have to be a lonely kind of thing."
That reminded me of something my father said once when he was trying to show me the difference between being lonely and being alone. They are very different.
"All life events are formative. All contribute to what we become, year by year, as we go on growing. As my friend the poet Kenneth Koch once said "You aren't just the age you are. You are all the ages you have ever been."
"Children who have learned to be comfortably dependent can become not only comfortably independent, but can also become comfortable with having people depend on them. They can lean, or stand and be leaned upon, because they know what a good feeling it can be to feel needed."
"There is no normal life that is free of pain. It's the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth."
"Peace means far more than the opposite of war!"
Lots and lots of quotes.

3 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken you reach 132 books at this pace. Although Lolita will slow you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolita definately slowed me down, but I think I will be finished with it by tomorrow.

    I was working 12 hour shifts. 4 days on and then 4 days off. It gave me lots of time to read, both at work and at home. We have changed to a five day week with 8 hour days. Tat has slowed me down also.

    I will not read 132 books. Maybe 121 or 116, not. LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete