12 September 2009

62. The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Some old guy goes fishing...and the book is great.

I read "A Farewell to Arms" earlier this year and was not thrilled by Hemingway's writing. I figured I would give this book and "The Sun Also Rises" a shot despite my lack of enthusiasm after A Farewell to Arms. I am glad I did that because this was an awesome book.

This is one of the best books I have ever read. Who would have thought that so much could be told in a story about a man who is catching a fish. Reading this book I felt joy and pain for the man. I felt sadness for the fish. I rooted for the fish at times hoping he might get away. Then other times I was cheering for the man and hoping he could persevere.

It was an amazing story that sucked me into the tiny world of a small fishing boat and the thoughts of an old man.

I hate the sharks!

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of using this with my 8th grade. Think they'd like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is far better than some of the other books they wanted us to read.
    I really don't remember what it was like being an 8th grader.
    My guess is that some will read it and like it. Some just won't read it, like all the books I was assigned. :-)

    ReplyDelete