17 May 2009

30. Frankenstein

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Awesome! I never read this book because I "saw the movie". Boris Karloff was excellent, but that movie and this book were two completely different stories. I never knew that until I picked it up and started reading.

This book was not about a mad scientist with a huge Gothic castle who stole body parts and created a monster with lightning bolts. It was also not about how the monster went around scaring the crap out of the peasants until they came after him (and the scientist) with torches.

This book was about relationships and responsibility. This book was about the desires of men. This book was about decisions and how they have an effect on the events of our lives. This book was about the inherent traits of man and the instinctual responses we all have.

It was awesome....and it was written by a 19 year old girl and published in 1818. It is Gothic, but missing much of the "Gothic" themes of the day. It is also considered the first novel in the genre of "horror" or "science fiction".

I don't think I need to do any in depth analysis of this book. Like Shakespeare, it has all been said already, I am sure.

I enjoyed it and recommend it to everyone. It is outstanding.

2 comments:

  1. It really is amazing that a young woman wrote it. I loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it's amazing that you have hit the 30 book mark already!

    ReplyDelete