22 May 2009

33. Collected Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

A Collection Of Stories - Edgar Allan Poe

I had never really read any of Edgar Allan Poe's work except for "The Raven". I do not recall actually reading anything else. All I knew is that he wrote dark stuff and that Vincent Price played in movies based on his stories. I remember the movies from when I was a kid. The Pit and the Pendulum stands out for some reason.

This book contained about a dozen stories that Poe wrote. Murders In The Rue Morgue, The Pit and The Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell Tale Heart, and others. I read them, but I can't say that i enjoyed them.

Poe used a lot of words. Reading his stories was laborious. I felt like I was working so hard to read it that I could not just enjoy the story. They were OK stories.

Maybe (or maybe not) I will try it again in a decade or so and see if it is better next time, but I will probably have something else to read.

I guess I prefer his poetry to his stories. Nevermore....

Note to self...try to blog the day you finish the book, like this time, rather than procrastinating. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment