11 February 2010

15. Brave New World

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Fascinating!
The book started of really strange. I kept having to go read the sentences over again. I thought it was going to be a dud, and then it blossomed for me. It was kind of like having a revelation. I just "got it" in a way. From that point on the book was outstanding.

It has been reviewed enough. I don't need to write what it is about. I will just write that I loved it.

I liked it more than "1984". I think I liked "We" better in some ways. This one was pretty close to "We" as far as some of the central themes, yet different in a lot of details.

When Mustapha Mond and John "Savage" had their long discussion near the end of the book I was hanging on every word. Neither man was going to understand the other. Both tried to explain their positions, but it was an impossible conversation. Their lives were too different and neither wanted to change.

Poor Linda. I felt so horribly for her.

I did find it interesting that two of the central figures in the book were named Bernard Marx and Lenina Crowe. Marx and Lenin. Get it. Whatever.

You better read it before you die.

No comments:

Post a Comment