18 February 2010

19. Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

This was another foray into the audio books. I worked the last three days and then had to drive half way across South Carolina today. Needless to say, the book was listened to for hours on end.

I liked it. I really hated Hatsumomo and her manipulative and cruel ways.

I liked Mameha very much. She was what a big sister should be like, though later it was revealed that she did not do this on her own. It was a request from the Chairman. I did get the feeling that Mameha didn't mind taking care of her little sister, so it was still all good.

I can't say that I was thrilled with the whole book. It was kind of like reading a chic book, but it was better than that. It was good, but it was not thrilling. The insights into the Japanese culture, especially one prior to World War II, were very interesting and I enjoyed that a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Damn. I haven't read a single book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can read. I know you can.

    It was very cold and nasty in january and February. I did not want to go outside and do things. :-)

    ReplyDelete