23 December 2008

The American Political Tradition - Richard Hofstadter - Nov 08


"The American Political Tradition and the Men Who Made It" - Richard Hofstadter

I picked this up after reading The Audacity of Hope. I was wondering about a few things. Most of my wondering had to do with the New Deal. There had to be dissenting opinions at the time. There had to be people who vehemently disagreed. What was the political climate of the late 20s and early 30s? I had no idea and wanted to find out.

I picked up this book because it was written in 1948. I didn't want a 1970s opinion of the 30s. I wanted as close an opinion to that time as I could get.

I learned a lot about the founding fathers, Jefferson, Lincoln and a number of other political superheroes (or not). These are the reasons for the actions they had taken. These are the explanations for WHY the men did the things they did and said the things they said.

It is quite fascinating to see these stories in a historically factual framework.

No comments:

Post a Comment