23 December 2008

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes- Dec 08


I was supposed to read this book in junior high school. It was called "Charly" then. It think that was the name of a movie version of this book. Anyway, I never finsihed reading it. I have felt bad about that.

I decided a few months ago to go back and read many of the books I was supposed to read at one point or another. I did't read them all. I remember reading "Animal Farm", but the rest, well, I really doubt I put in much effort. I was busy playing baseball or exploring the sand pits.

So I read this one. It was awesome. Written as a journal by a retarded man who undergoes an operation which makes him extremely smart. All that intelligence is great, but it comes at a cost. What an excellent story.

At the end I feel really sad and almost relieved for the man at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment