23 December 2008

The Catcher In The Rye - J D Salinger - Dec 08


OK, this is supposed to be one of the best books ever. So many people consider it an all time favorite. I have heard the name Holden Caulfield as a hero many times. I expected to read the greatest book ever. I didn't.

I know, there is a lot of hidden meaning, metaphor, analogy, blah blah blah in the book.

I'll tell you what I think about it... I was so tired of hearing Holden's incessant cry-baby act by page 50 that I almost put it on the shelf forever.

The story was OK, and I kept hoping he would turn out alright in the end, but damn. He would bitch and moan about everything, and then turn around and do exactly the same things he was just complaining about.

I just wanted to reach out and smack the little turd.

I did finish the book and did not hate it, but as far as the best ever? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment